Keeping Your Children Safe
PLEASE NOTE: THESE PROTOCOLS HAVE BEEN PUT IN PLACE FOR CURRENT RECOMMENDATIONS, THIS IS A LIVING DOCUMENT AND AS WE LEARN MORE AND HEALTH OFFICIALS PROVIDE MORE INFORMATION, WE WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED ON ANY CHANGES TO OUR POLICIES, ALWAYS KEEPING OUR DANCERS AND STAFF’S HEALTH AS THE PRIORITY
Watch for symptoms of COVID-19 that can appear up to 14 days after being exposed to the virus.
Symptoms of COVID-19
The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to other respiratory illnesses including the flu and common cold. The most common symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- Fever (see below)
- Cough or worsening of chronic cough
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Loss of sense of smell or taste
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Muscle aches
While less common, symptoms can also include:
- Stuffy nose
- Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Dizziness, confusion
- Abdominal pain
- Skin rashes or discoloration of fingers or toes.
Fever: Average normal body temperature taken orally is about 37°C. For more on normal body temperature and fevers, see HealthLinkBC's information for children age 11 and younger and for people age 12 and older. Infants less than three months of age who have a fever should be assessed by a health care provider.
Children have similar symptoms to adults, but are less likely to have fever, shortness of breath or cough. COVID-19 causes mild illness in the majority of cases in children.
COVID-19 symptoms can range from mild to severe. Sometimes people with COVID-19 have mild illness, but their symptoms may suddenly worsen in a few days.
What to do if you have symptoms of COVID-19
Testing is available for anyone with cold, influenza or COVID-19-like symptoms. For more information on testing and where to go for testing, visit the Testing page. Infants under three months of age with a fever or symptoms should be assessed by a health care provider.
The B.C. COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool is also available for anyone that develops symptoms and can be used to help determine if you need further assessment or testing for COVID-19. Testing is especially important for groups that are more vulnerable to complications from COVID-19, or people who care for these individuals.
Some symptoms can also be signs of other conditions. If you are unsure, contact your health care provider or call 8-1-1. If someone is having severe difficulty breathing, severe chest pain, having a hard time waking up, feeling confused or losing consciousness, you should seek emergency medical care by calling 9-1-1 or going to your nearest emergency department.
If you develop symptoms, you will need to self-isolate while you wait for your test results so you do not potentially spread illness to others. Those who get diagnosed with COVID-19 will need to self-isolate for at least 10 days from when their symptoms started. For more information on what to do if you have COVID-19, if you think you may have it, or believe you may require medical care, visit the If you are Sick page.
Older people and people with a weakened immune system or underlying medical conditions are considered at higher risk of severe disease. For more, see information for Priority populations.
Can you become sick from someone before they show symptoms?
There have been instances of transmissions before the person became sick or the symptoms were so mild that the person did not know they were sick. However, it is unclear if this contributes to significant spread of the virus in the population. Most people become ill from being in close contact with someone who shows symptoms such as coughing and sneezing, therefore transmitting the virus through droplets. We continuously review the evidence and update information regularly.
IF YOU OR ANY FAMILY MEMBER YOU KNOW, THAT HAS CONTACT WITH SPOTLIGHT DANCE CENTRE, COMES DOWN WITH ANY SYMPTOMS OF COVID -19, WE ASK THAT YOU SELF ISOLATE AND IMMEDIATELY CONTACT THE HEALTH AUTHORITIES AND THEN CONTACT THE STUDIO VIA E-MAIL AT INFO@SPOTLIGHTDANCECENTRE.COM OR PHONE 604.299.6111
ANY STUDENTS OR STAFF TRAVELLING OUTSIDE OF THE LOWER MAINLAND, WE ASK TO ISOLATE FOR 14 DAYS PRIOR TO RETURNING TO CLASSES. YOU CAN UPDATE ANY MISSED CLASSES OR TIMES YOU MAY BE AWAY IN THE JACKRABBIT PARENT PORTAL.
In the case that someone at the studio has a positive case of COVID-19
Spotlight will follow the health authority guidelines for contact tracing, informing families that would have been in contact with the person and any other requirements that need to be made.
If a child or staff under our care comes down with symptoms of COVID-19
- The person will be immediately isolated.
- Family will be contacted to pick up the person.
- Sanitization of all areas the person was in contact.
Steps the studio has made to prevent the spread
THROUGHOUT THE BUILDING
- Sanitization stations have been installed throughout the studio.
- Signage has been installed to provide information on sanitization stations, mask on areas and sanitization information. WITH THE NEW PROTOCOL: All masks must be worn for people age 13 and up. Children 12 and under can remove masks only once in their classrooms where physical distancing is possible.
- Arrows have been installed to provide information on traffic flow throughout the building.
- Cleaning of high touch areas (Lights, floors, cubbies, railings, doors and santization stations, washrooms) between all class transitions.
- All waiting areas have been cleared to increase space in high traffic areas where social distancing is difficult and any high touch surfaces have been remeoved.
- Masks are required throughout all hallways, bathrooms and when leaving a dance studio for ALL student and staff until exiting the building. ONLY STUDENTS 12 AND UNDER ARE ALLOWED TO REMOVE MASKS ONCE IN CLASSROOMS.
- Student lounges/ changerooms and waiting rooms have been closed.
- New protocol has been put in place to allow for minimal interaction with as little students as possible.
- Registration/Payment/Information has been moved to an online format to reduce the amount of people having to enter the studio. Public office hours have been reduced to allow for the same things. If you need to contact the studio, please do so via e-mail at email@example.com or 604.299.6111 prior to making the decision to come to the studio in person.
- If you need to come to the office in person, Masks will be required, and entry will only be permitted once cohorts have moved into their classrooms.
- Class size limits have been put in place to allow for social distancing in all dance studio spaces.
- Number of studios operating at a time have been reduced to allow for space in hallways before and after classes. All students only interact with the students that are in the same class time cohort and are distanced throughout the building.
- The studio will always adhere to staying below the allowable number of people (50) in the building at a time.
- New employees have been hired to help with sanitization and helping with flow of traffic. Coordinating the movement of cohorts throughout the building and out of the buildings.
- All dance studios have been clearly marked for socially distanced placement. Barres are marked for dancer placement, floors have been marked for socially distanced across the floor while waiting in lines, and the floor have been marked with 2 metre cubes for centre work.
- All studios are stocked with, extra masks, rubber gloves and cleaning supplies.
- All studios have been stocked with sanitizer and cleaning supplies for easy cleaning of high touch spaces in between classes. All floors, barres and touched surfaces within the classroom are sanitized between all classes.
- All props/mats and apparatus have been sanitized ready for use and will be done before and after all uses.
- All classrooms will have doors/windows open to allow for ventilation and fresh air where possible.
- Teachers have class plans around no contact classes with other dancers. For classes required to make physical contact (Acro: Tricks and some Company classes) students are required to wear a mask through out class for ALL ages.
- Teachers have contract tracing lists of students in their classroom in the rare circumstance, students are in contact with each other or the teachers.
What the dancers can expect when entering spotlight dance centre.
PRIOR TO ENTERING THE STUDIO, PLEASE DO A SELF ASSESSMENT FOR YOUR CHILDREN BEFORE ATTENDING DANCE CLASS. ANY CHILD THAT IS SHOWING SYMPTOMS OF ILLNESS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND CLASSES.
For self assessment tools, please check out https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/en
RULES OF CONDUCT
- ALL DANCERS MUST BE WEARING A MASK PRIOR TO ENTERING THE BUILDING, WANDERING ANY OF THE COMMON AREAS AND WASHROOMS.
- REMOVAL OF MASKS IS ONLY OPTIONAL ONCE ARRIVING IN THEIR STUDIO CLASSROOM FOR STUDENTS AGE 12 AND UNDER AND WHERE SOCIAL DISTANCING IS POSSIBLE.
- STUDENTS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO GET CHANGED AT THE STUDIO. THEY MUST ARRIVE READY FOR CLASS, HAIR IN A PONYTAIL OR BUN (REQUIRED FOR ALL BALLET CLASSES) AND OUTDOOR CLOTHING ON OVER TOP.
- THERE IS NO REFILLING OF WATER BOTTLES AT THE STUDIO SINKS, ALL DANCERS WILL NEED TO ARRIVE WITH A FULL WATER BOTTLE OR PURCHASE A WATER BOTTLE THROUGH THE OFFICE.
HELPFUL HINTS TO EASE TRANSITION OF CLASSES AND STUDENTS
- There is limited storage space for outdoor clothing. Students should have a small bag that fits their jacket and shoes and can fit easily in a 12x12 cube. Please make sure that your child is able to fit outdoor clothing in their bag as we are not to have any lose clothing in the cubbies.
- Bring only the shoes required for class, water bottle and small Ziploc bag (to place their masks if they are taking off.
- Food and snacks will not be allowed to be consumed at the studio for dancers in two or less classes per day. Please make sure they are consumed prior to and after attending. Anyone participating in more than two classes or coming directly from school, are permitted to eat in Studio D in the 2 metre distanced space and must be sanitized after eating.
- ALL STUDENTS NEED A SMALL ZIPLOC BAG FOR MASK STORAGE AND ANY VALUABLES, PLEASE PRINT THE CHILD’S NAME ON THE BAG
ENTERING AND ATTENDING THE STUDIO PROTOCOL
- Prior to arriving at the studio, we ask that you do a health check with your child. If they are feeling unwell and or have possible symptoms of Covid-19 they are not to attend classes and are to follow the health authorities requirements stated above.
- Dancers must arrive at the studio 8 minutes prior to class start time. (any students arriving late will have to wait for entry). They must have their mask on, be ready for class with outdoor clothing on over top, a filled water bottle and a SMALL dance bag with Ziploc bag
- Upon arriving at the studio, the main entrance to the building will be locked. Students are to await outside, socially distanced and away from the front entrance.
- 1 by 1 students will be asked to enter the studio by our “Dancer Conductor”
- Upon entry, they will immediate sanitizer their hands and will be escorted into Studio D where they will find stickers on the floor to allow for distancing.
- Once in Studio D, they will be asked to take their outdoor clothing off and place into their dance bag and change their shoes ready for class in their 2 metre distances. Please make sure that all hair is up and done before coming to the studio. They will be able to use the Studio D washroom at this time, if needed.
- As soon as, the previous classes have evacuated the building, the dancers will leave studio D and move upstairs to the outside of their designated studios.
- Each studio has designated cubbies and there will be red stickers informing them of what cubbies are available to place their dance bag. Once again, please make sure that all attire can fit in their dance bag.
- Once placing their gear in the cubbies, they will enter their studio and be spaced according to our distancing measures (2 metres apart), remove their masks(if they are allowed), place in their Ziploc bag and sanitize their hands.
- CLASS BEGINS!
- Upon finishing class, students will place their masks back on and sanitize before leaving.
- They will find their clothing in the cubbies and get dressed. Or for those dancers in another class: gather your dance bag and transition to the next classroom cubbies.
- They will then be sent down the stairs and out the front entrance to awaiting parents outside the building.
We will continue to add and delete when required to our safety plans. We appreciate that you have continued the studio and the arts and we are looking forward to seeing our dancers again in person.